Monday, June 3, 2013

"I'm sanctified and satisfied"

6/2/13

Hey ya'll!
Well, it was a great week here in Mt. Vernon. We had our first ever Sister Conference in our zone. Cause I'm pretty sure the sisters are taking over the mission work...just kidding...kind of. It was a great conference with President and Sister Woodbury. They always say just the right thing that helps with whatever we've been going through at that point on our mission. I'm so blessed to have such great mission leaders.
The day after our conference Sister Mickelsen came back to Mt. Vernon with Sister Loveless from Evansville and blitzed for a day so I spent the day with Sister Loveless and of course it was an adventure! Sister Loveless has been under some stress latley since she had found out that day that her senior companion, amazing Sister Earl, has to go home early due to illness. Since this is Sister Loveless's first transfer that is a lot to suddenly take on! We were able to talk about how the Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called. We have such a great opportunity as young missionaries to be given greater responsibilites without as much experience to learn more fully how to rely on the Lord for our strength and guidance. Heavenly Father loves each of us enough to allow challenges to come into our life so that we can learn and progress from those things and look back and see how those experiences shaped us into the people we are today.
At the end of our day tracting Sister Loveless and I knocked on a door and after we tried to talk to him he said, "I've already been to church today and I'm sanctified, satisfied, and I need to go back to the bathroom. So goodbye." He won the quote of the day.
As we've taught new invesitgators this week I've noticed how many of them had very rough patches in their lives. They have gotten to points where they've hit rock bottom and at that point they chose to turn to God. As we've taught them the Gospel I can see how those challenges they've had in their past, whether they be self infllicted or not, humbled them and allowed them to turn to God. As they've done that it's been great helping them build on that faith in teaching them about the restored gospel.
Looking back on the week Ether 12:27 sticks out in my mind. "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I know what this verse says is true. I've seen it in my life, especially serving our here and in the lives of those I teach. As we turn to our Heavenly Father with faith in Him, our weaknesses can become strengths. He can enable us to do things we never imagined we could.
Well, I hope ya'll have a great week!
Sister Hodges

No comments:

Post a Comment